Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation at Crystal Cove State Park
Description: Crystal Cove Alliance, the nonprofit partner of Crystal Cove State Park, is dedicating the month of April to #takebackthecanyon from invasive species! Join in the campaign to monitor and remove non-native flora and fauna from Moro Canyon as you head out to the field for a day of hands-on navigation training with REI Outdoor School Instructors. During this field outing, we'll help you see three dimensions of the land in the two dimensions of a topographic map by teaching you how to read contour lines, landmarks and other map features. We'll also talk about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination), and help you make sense of it all as you navigate to photo monitoring points along the trail. There, you'll help CCSP track the success of its restoration projects by taking and uploading photographs of specific land plots. Maps and compasses will be provided. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a participating responsible adult.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn how to read topographic lines and other basic features on a map
- Learn how to orient a map to match the environment both with and without a compass
- Learn basic compass features and how to utilize the map with a compass
- Learn how to plot your current position on your map
- Use a map & compass to navigate to new locations
- Build confidence in your navigation skills
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation at Crystal Cove State Park Information
INTRODUCTION TO MAP & COMPASS NAVIGATION AT CRYSTAL COVE STATE PARK
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
|4/20/2014 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM PDT||
Non Member: $80.00
|6/7/2014 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM PDT||
Non Member: $80.00
Spots left: 10
Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation at Crystal Cove State Park Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Lunch & Snacks
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hiking Boots
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Personal Compass
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.