Winter Hiking Series - White Oak Canyon
Description: Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Join REI's professional guides this winter for a unique hiking experience in Shenandoah's most scenic winter hiking destination, White Oak Canyon. Well explore the frozen waterfalls of the canyon as we hike in a winter wonderland. Along the way we'll teach you a few tips to making winter hiking more comfortable and enjoyable. Bring your sense of adventure! REI will provide transportation along with a catered lunch and hot drinks. This outing leaves from REI Fairfax. Join us for a day or the Winter Hiking Series. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a participating parent or responsible adult.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Learn about local venues that are particularly suited to winter hiking
- Get a great winter-weather workout
- Meet other like-minded adventurers
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Winter Hiking Series - White Oak Canyon Information
WINTER HIKING SERIES - WHITE OAK CANYON
- Class Details
- Gear List
Winter Hiking Series - White Oak Canyon Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Gloves
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Warm Hat
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Hiking Boots
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Energy Snacks
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Thermos with warm drinks