Winter Hiking Series - Harpers Ferry & Maryland Heights
Description: Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Join REI's professional guides this winter for a unique hiking experience through the natural wonder and human history of Harpers Ferry and Maryland Heights. We'll hike along the AT, through the storied town and climb to a historic view of three states and two rivers. Along the way, we'll teach you a few tips to making winter hiking more comfortable and enjoyable. Bring your sense of adventure! REI will provide transportation along with a catered lunch and hot drinks. This outing leaves from REI Rockville. Join us for a day or the whole Winter Hiking Series. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a participating parent or responsible adult.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Learn about local venues that are particularly suited to winter hiking
- Get a great winter-weather workout
- Meet other like-minded adventurers
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Winter Hiking Series - Harpers Ferry & Maryland Heights Information
WINTER HIKING SERIES - HARPERS FERRY & MARYLAND HEIGHTS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Winter Hiking Series - Harpers Ferry & Maryland Heights Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Hat
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Warm Gloves
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Personal Camera
- Energy Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Thermos with warm drinks