Scenic Sierra Hike for Families
Description: Come join the REI Outdoor School and other like minded hiking families on an easy 2-3 mile roundtrip hike to discover the best hiking trails of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We'll introduce your family to local natural gems, explore the natural history of the location and discuss tips and tricks for planning family trips into the outdoors. Learn how to pick a good trail and how to keep the kids interested and happy on the hike. A kid-specific version of Leave No Trace principles will be taught to emphasize good habits in the outdoors. Kids need to be old enough to hike or be carried. Bring your child carrier backpack if needed. Please also bring a day pack large enough to fit lunch, layers, water and personal items. Children 12 and under $10. Please contact the REI Outdoor School Senior Instructor to register those 12 and under for the discounted price at (916) 759-3440.
Skills you'll learn:
- Explore lesser known majestic hikes in the Sierra with REI professional instructors
- Learn natural history of the area
- Learn tips and tools to make your hiking more comfortable and enjoyable. Learn how to pick a good trail for the entire family Learn activities that will engage kids of a variety of ages during a hike. A kid-specific version of Leave No Trace principles will be taught to emphasize good habits in the outdoors. Learn how to care for yourself and your child outside.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Scenic Sierra Hike for Families Information
SCENIC SIERRA HIKE FOR FAMILIES
- Class Details
- Gear List
Scenic Sierra Hike for Families Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Hiking Boots
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Lunch & Snacks
- Water Bottle
- Hiking Socks - Mositure wicking socks to help keep your feet cool and dry.
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Personal Camera
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.