Kayak Tour - Ghosts of the Potomac: Mallow's Bay
Description: Join us on a kayak tour of one of the Potomac River's hidden historical treasures: the WWI-era ship graveyard at Mallow's Bay. We'll paddle through history and through nature at this gem of a site! Mallow's Bay on the Potomac River is home to a "ghost fleet" of over 200 partially submerged wooden vessels. These boats were built during World War I to carry supplies across the Atlantic Ocean, and when they outlived their life span, they were laid to rest in this serene bay in Nanjemoy, MD. Now they are a paddling destination unlike no other! You'll have a catered box lunch at the foot of the bay, then after some brief orientation you'll set out with REI Outdoor School Instructors to explore this historical gem. Nature lovers won't be disappointed either - the area teems with bird life and even beaches full of fossils! This amazing tour starts at our REI College Park, MD store. REI will provide transportation to the bay, a box lunch, all gear, and expert instruction, and transportation back to REI College Park at the end of the day. No previous kayaking experience necessary.
Skills you'll learn:
- Explore a historical site by kayak
- Practice paddling skills in a supervised environment
- Learn about the history and ecology of Mallow's Bay
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Tour - Ghosts of the Potomac: Mallow's Bay Information
KAYAK TOUR - GHOSTS OF THE POTOMAC: MALLOW'S BAY
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Tour - Ghosts of the Potomac: Mallow's Bay Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Personal Snacks
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Dry Bag