Kayak Tour of the DC Monuments
Description: With a river lined by monuments, museums, historic neighborhoods, and national parks, downtown DC is certainly one of the most beautiful cityscapes in North America. Escape the crowds and experience the beauty and splendor of our Nation's Capitol from the best spot in town - the cockpit of a kayak! REI Outdoor School Instructors will be your guide on this incredible paddling tour. We'll depart from Gravelly Point Park on the Virginia side of the river, and paddle up past the Jefferson Memorial and the Tidal Basin. We'll paddle underneath the iconic Lincoln Memorial and the Arlington Memorial Bridge, past the Kennedy Center and towards the Georgetown Waterfront. We'll stop for a catered box lunch on Roosevelt Island, a sanctuary for wildlife and waterfowl. We'll finish the day paddling back down to Gravelly Point, providing another opportunity for views (and photos) of the monuments.
Skills you'll learn:
- Paddle a gorgeous stretch of the DC cityscape
- Practice paddling skills over a longer distance
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Tour of the DC Monuments Information
KAYAK TOUR OF THE DC MONUMENTS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Tour of the DC Monuments Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Personal Snacks
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Personal Camera
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Lip Balm/Protection
Gear provided by REI:
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Group First Aid Kit
- Dry Bag