Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay
Description: Come paddle one of the most gorgeous stretches of coastline in Southern California with REI and a Naturalist from Heal the Bay. On this scenic ocean tour of Palos Verdes you will experience warm sunny coves, craggy headlands, views of Catalina Island and forests of giant kelp teeming with sea life. You will have the chance to see dolphins, seals, pelicans, bright orange garibaldi and several other marine animals. Palos Verdes has been designated as a Marine Protected Areas insuring the continued health of this important part of our marine ecosystem. Join us as we launch sit-on-top kayaks from the beach through small surf and then paddle at a relaxed pace and learn more about this ecosystem and what we can do to protect it. This trip is appropriate for ages 12 and up. Previous Kayak experience preferred - Try a Learn to Kayak class first.
Skills you'll learn:
- Have a fun kayak experience in a beautiful place
- Learn about the local ecosystem and marine life
- Learn about basic kayak gear and clothing selection
- Learn basic kayak stroke techniques including forward, sweep, reverse and stroke techniques
- Learn the basics of managing yourself on a guided kayak tour
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay Information
KAYAK PALOS VERDES WITH HEAL THE BAY
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
|3/15/2014 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT||
Non Member: $90.00
Spots left: 5
|3/29/2014 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT||
Non Member: $90.00
Spots left: 12
Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Energy Snacks
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Dry Bag
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Group First Aid Kit