Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel
Description: This advanced course is designed as the next step in your mountaineering adventures after the Introduction to Mountaineering class. You will learn the skills and techniques for roped team glacier travel. This will include knots, rope management, snow anchors, walking belay and fixed line travel.
Skills you'll learn:
- Practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes
- Learn and practice rope team setup and travel
- Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel Information
ADVANCED MOUNTAINEERING SKILLS - ROPE TEAM TRAVEL
- Class Details
- Gear List
Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hiking Boots
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Water Bottle
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Warm Hat
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Lunch & Snacks
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Gloves
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Personal GPS
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Energy Snacks
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Compass
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Climbing Helmet
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Climbing Harness
- Group First Aid Kit