Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques
Description: In this introductory class you will learn the skills of proper use of crampons and mountain axe, self-arrest and self-belay techniques, various snow and glacier travel techniques as well as proper nutrition, gear, clothing and well being for mountaineering.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend snow slopes
- Learn and practice self-belay
- Learn and practice self arrest
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques Information
INTRODUCTION TO MOUNTAINEERING - BASIC SKILLS & TECHNIQUES
- Class Details
- Gear List
Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Gloves
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Warm Hat
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Water Bottle
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Personal Camera
- Personal Compass
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Personal GPS
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Energy Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Climbing Harness
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Climbing Helmet
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Group First Aid Kit