Kayak Day Tour - Elkhorn Slough
Description: Join REI for a kayaking tour of Elkhorn Slough, a popular area for beginning and intermediate paddlers. Located at the center of the Monterey Bay coastline, this ecological treasure is home to hundreds of species of plants and abundant wildlife such as sea lions, sea otters, seals, egrets, pelicans, and many migratory bird species. After an orientation and safety briefing, we will paddle the slough from Moss Landing to Kirby Park and back, totaling approximately 8 miles.
Skills you'll learn:
Identifying local fauna. Safely navigating Monterrey Bay.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Day Tour - Elkhorn Slough Information
KAYAK DAY TOUR - ELKHORN SLOUGH
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Day Tour - Elkhorn Slough Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Personal Camera
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Paddle Jacket
- Energy Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Wetsuit - Thickness depends on your local water temperatures. Generally 3mm-4mm is preferable.
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Group First Aid Kit
- Dry Bag
- Lunch & Snacks