Learn to Canoe
Description: This class will introduce students to the basics of paddling a canoe in a mild setting and at a relaxed pace. Students will learn about canoes, paddles, gear and clothing before learning to launch and being introduced to the basic paddle strokes. This class is a great way for those considering canoeing to try it out. Canoeing is a wet sport. Instruction includes in-water rescue demonstration and practice.
Skills you'll learn:
- Experience on-the-water instruction in canoes
- Learn about basic canoeing gear and clothing selection
- Learn basic canoe stroke techniques including forward, sweep, reverse, draw stroke and steering techniques
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Learn to Canoe Information
LEARN TO CANOE
- Class Details
- Gear List
Learn to Canoe Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Energy Snacks
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Group First Aid Kit
- Dry Bag