Description: The use of an ice axe and crampons is critical to anyone who wants to be able to move with comfort and safety in the mountains. This course will prepare you to deal with high summer snowfields and help develop the skills needed for the mountaineer's route at Mt. Whitney or other mountaineering adventures. We will cover skills such as self-arrest, crampon use, traveling on a rope team, negotiating 4th class terrain and placing snow protection. This course is appropriate for first time mountaineers or climbers looking to brush up on skills. Once you've completed this course join us on another occasion for a winter ascent of Mt. Baldy or other local peak.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes
- Learn and practice rope team setup and travel
- Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering Skills Information
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
Mountaineering Skills Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Warm Gloves
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Warm Hat
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hiking Boots
- Lunch & Snacks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Climbing Helmet