Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent
Description: This class is only for participants that have completed both the Mountaineering Snow Travel and Rope Team classes. This day outing is a winter ascent in which you will have the opportunity to climb an iconic and beautiful peak while practicing the skills you've learned. During the ascent you will work in rope teams to maneuver through 4th class terrain. Mountaineering skills will be reviewed during ascent and basic outdoor skills will be emphasized throughout day including navigation, layering, weather and nutrition.
Skills you'll learn:
Further hone steep snow climbing and descent techniques learned in Mountaineering Snow Travel and Rope Team courses, Practice rope team travel through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent Information
MOUNTAINEERING - CLASSIC PEAK WINTER ASCENT
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Hat
- Warm Gloves
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Water Bottle
- Lunch & Snacks
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Energy Snacks
- Personal GPS
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Camera
- Personal Compass
Gear provided by REI:
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Group First Aid Kit
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Climbing Harness
- Dynamic Climbing Rope - At least a 60m rope.
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Climbing Helmet