Kayak Day Tour - Jug Bay
Description: Join REI for a kayaking tour of Jug Bay Natural Area of Patuxent River Park and experience some of the best birding in Maryland by boat! Over 250 bird species have been recorded here, more than 100 of those confirmed as nesting. The marshes boast one of the largest stands of wild rice in Maryland, attracting large numbers of migrating Sora Rails and waterfowl in the early fall. After an orientation and safety briefing, we will explore the river history and ecology. Depending on conditions, we'll paddle between 4 and 8 miles round trip. No prior kayaking experience is required, but students must be physically able to paddle 8 miles. Lunch is provided as part of the tour.
Skills you'll learn:
- Explore a local wetland ecosystem by kayak
- Practice kayaking skills over a longer distance
- Get up close to migrating birds in their habitat.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Day Tour - Jug Bay Information
KAYAK DAY TOUR - JUG BAY
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Day Tour - Jug Bay Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Water Bottle
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Personal Snacks
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Personal Camera
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
Gear provided by REI:
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Spray Skirt
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Dry Bag