Managing Our Waste & Recycling
These changes reduced the package volume, improved transportation efficiency and eliminated unwanted materials such as PVC clamshells. We also switched to all FSC-certified paper for hangtags and paperboard. In 2009, we completed design changes for all REI-brand products, including Novara bicycles and accessories.
Our goal: a 25% reduction in REI-brand product packing by 2012.
Here are a few other ways we're working toward our aspiration of zero waste-to-landfill by 2020:
- Increasing recycling & recovery options for materials in our waste stream
- These include partnerships with waste vendors and other retailers to expand recycling options in markets around the country
- Composting food waste at our headquarters location
- Working with our suppliers to design out waste materials that affect our business operations
- For example, eliminating excess packaging such as plastic bags destined for the landfill
- Working with the Outdoor Industry Association's Eco Working Group initiative to identify shared industry solutions that will reduce packaging waste throughout the supply chain.