Making the Transition to Clipless Bike Pedals

In a previous post, I noted that I’m a longtime casual rider who is finally going from toe-clips to clipless bike pedals. I’d put this off for years due to fears of getting stuck in them and toppling embarrassingly to the ground. Based on the large number of readers we get to the REI Expert Advice articles on how to choose cycling shoes and pedals, this appears to be a common concern.

I am happy to report, however, that my fears were unfounded. While commuting to work during National Bike Month, the clipless bike pedals have proved to be a joy. I feel more secure when pedaling but find it simple to unclip when needed. There’s no more fumbling around with toe clips. These pedals make my pedaling much more efficient, too, though initially I’m not sure how much difference I can detect.

How did I reach this blissful state without falling? Easy. Before my first outing, I practiced for about 5 minutes clipping in and out of my new pedals while my son held the bike’s handlebars steady. It only took a dozen or so repetitions to feel comfortable doing so.

What are your tips for making the transition? Or if haven’t done so, what would convince you to give clipless pedals a try?

Tagged: bike pedals, bike shoes, clipless and national bike month

Kaati R

I have the clipless pedals and I was nervous about using them. I've used them for a year and have fallen over a couple of times. The main issue is REMEMBERING that I have them. The most embarrassing fall was in front of a patio cafe with my husband, or was it the time I fell over at a red light? Either way, it's not difficult to get out of them and they are more efficient.

Kaati R

Sierracanon

I made the switch about a year ago, and haven't looked back. I didn't have any problem learning to clip out, but clipping in took a while. The biggest problem, was finding cycling shoes in size 14, that didn't cost $300+!!

The biggest adjustment for me, was changing my pedaling technique. Instead of pushing down, I had to learn to "spin," so that I had good torque through the whole rotation. Once I got that figured out, it was blissful.

Ashley K.

I started using clip pedals last year but by the time I got the hang of it, it was time for me to hang my bike up for the winter. I've been a bit shaky getting used to them again this year but hope to be able to stop while keeping one foot clipped in soon. :)

WillisB

I went clipless two years ago. The only fall was in my driveway after a really long ride. I just forgot to unclip. I love them and strongly recommend them.