Family Hiking (Outing)
This easy excursion will introduce your
kids to exploring the outdoors and will
leave them wanting more. Join our REI
Outdoor School instructors on a kid friendly
hike in a local park to discuss tips
and tricks for planning family trips into
the outdoors. Learn how to pick a good
trail and how to keep the kids interested
and happy on the hike. A kid-specific
version of Leave No Trace principles will
be taught to emphasize good habits in the
outdoors. The instructor will tailor the
class to your family’s needs. Kids need to
be old enough to hike or be carried. Bring
your child carrier backpack if needed.
Select dates will be offered in Yosemite National Park. Come learn to hike in one of the outdoors most iconic locations. See dates below.
* Advance registration is required. Call or visit any Sierra area REI to sign up.
Each adult and child attending must pre-register.
Course lasts 4-5 hours
- Cost: Member: $10 - Children Free, Non-Member: $30
Where To Meet:
Meet at the location or REI store listed below. Directions to locations other than REI stores can be found by clicking on the link below.
Due to car seat considerations and our desire to have the children transported as safely as possible, we request that each family drive to the location.
Get directions to all non-store venues here.
- June 21st Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- July 11th Folsom Powerhouse State Park
- July 29th Yosemite National Park (TBD)
- August 2nd Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- August 15th Folsom Powerhouse State Park
WHAT TO BRING:
- Quick-dry shirt and hiking pants. If the forecast is for cool temperatures, bring along a fleece jacket or windproof shell too.
- Water-resistant or waterproof jacket/anorak in case of rain
- Sturdy trail shoes or hiking boots, with moisture-wicking socks.
- A water bottle, such as a bicycle style or Nalgene, filled with drinking water, juice, etc.
- Sun protection (sunscreen and wide brim hats w/ retainers) and sunglasses with retainers.
- Bag lunch and snacks that you can carry with you on the trail
- At least one eager child.
- "Kid Carrier" backpack or other rugged child carrier if your child can not walk. Carrying them in your arms or on shoulders is unsafe for both you and them (and uncomfortable!).
- Binoculars (optional)
- A daypack to carry it all!
- Dress them in layers so they can warm up or cool down easily.
- Avoid cotton socks, which may lead to uncomfortable feet and blisters. Get some wool outer socks and a wicking-liner. And bring extras; kids WILL get their feet wet!
- No open-toed shoes.
- Dress them in bright colors so they are easily seen.
- Consider convertible pants, which are synthetic (dry easily) and can be converted to shorts if the day warms up.
- In damp weather, consider fleece rather than cotton as an outer layer.
- Consider taking them shopping for a special new item just for this trip. It can be as simple as a colorful bandana, or an inexpensive compass.
- Carry lots of dried fruits, power bars (they don't have to know it's not a candy bar) and trail mix.If your grocery store carries dried fruits and nuts in bulk, let them create their own trail mix.
- Take time to teach your kids about the importance of drinking water on the trail. Vocabulary word: "Hydration".
- Let them carry some of their own, while you carry extra.
- In the summer months, freeze some water in a sports bottle, or drop in some Sports-Drink ice cubes.
- Kids love Hydration Packs. It makes drinking fun!
REI OUTDOOR SCHOOL PROVIDES:
- Transportation between REI and trailhead, except when outing meets at venue.
- All park entry fees for riders in the REI Outdoor School van.
- Group medical supplies and area maps.
REI Outdoor School Cancellation Policy
To be courteous to all customers, we request you notify REI Outdoor School at least 48 hours prior to the trip if you
intend to cancel; late cancellations will not be refunded. Class or Outing cancellations on the part of REI Outdoor
School will be refunded in full, regardless of timeframe. Inclement weather does not necessarily cancel an event; REI
Outdoor School will contact you in the event of a cancellation.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
REI Outdoor School strives to provide the best outdoor education programs possible. Our 100% satisfaction guarantee
ensures that our classes and outings at REI Outdoor School meet your high standards - or we will gladly offer your choice
of a refund or a chance to re-take the class/outing.
In order to keep our instruction personable, space on our classes and outings is limited. If you are interested in an activity
that has filled, we would be happy to place you on a waitlist for that event. If space opens, we will contact the list in the order
you signed up, but we are unable to hold that spot if we're unable to speak with you directly. Providing us with your best
contact information increases your chances of joining us.
Classes and outings are subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control. Should a program be cancelled or a
rescheduled, all registered participants will be notified.