Learn to Kayak Class
Description: This class will introduce students to the basics of paddling a kayak in a mild setting and at a relaxed pace. Students will learn about kayaks, paddles, gear and clothing before learning to launch and being introduced to the basic paddle strokes. This class is a great way for those considering kayaking to try it out.
Skills you'll learn:
- Experience on-the-water instruction in kayaks
- Learn about basic kayak gear and clothing selection
- Learn basic kayak stroke techniques including forward, sweep, reverse and draw stroke techniques
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Learn to Kayak Class Information
LEARN TO KAYAK CLASS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Learn to Kayak Class Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Wetsuit - Thickness depends on your local water temperatures. Generally 3mm-4mm is preferable.
- Paddle Jacket
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Lunch & Snacks
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Dry Bag
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Group First Aid Kit