Learn to Kayak Class with Tour
Description: This class will introduce students to the basics of paddling a kayak in a mild setting and at a relaxed pace. Students will learn about kayaks, paddles, gear and clothing before learning to launch and being introduced to the basic paddle strokes. This class is a great way for those considering kayaking to try it out. After the class we will take a 2 to 3 hour paddle tour of the area to practice our skills and enjoy the scenery from the decks of our kayaks.
Skills you'll learn:
- Experience on-the-water instruction in kayaks
- Learn about basic kayak gear and clothing selection
- Learn basic kayak stroke techniques including forward, sweep, reverse and draw stroke techniques
- Learn the basics of managing yourself on a guided kayak tour
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Learn to Kayak Class with Tour Information
LEARN TO KAYAK CLASS WITH TOUR
- Class Details
- Gear List
Learn to Kayak Class with Tour Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Lunch & Snacks
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Paddle Jacket
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Wetsuit - Thickness depends on your local water temperatures. Generally 3mm-4mm is preferable.
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Dry Bag
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)