Wilderness First Aid Class with WMI
Description: REI is collaborating with the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS to offer a comprehensive two day course that will teach you the wilderness medicine skills you need to recreate with confidence in the backcountry. From the Patient Assessment System through traumatic, medical, and environmental emergencies, you'll experience a wide variety of topics designed to prepare you to act if an accident occurs. This is a 16 hour course over two days. The course begins at 9am each day and runs through 6pm, with an one hour break midday. Minimum age is 16 years old. You will have both in store classroom time and hands on practice scenarios. Practice scenarios may take place outside in various weather conditions; be prepared for inclement weather. No prerequisites required. Successful completion results in a Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS Wilderness First Aid certification. This course may be used to recertify Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness Advanced First Aid and Wilderness EMT (wilderness portion only) certifications if you hold a current/in grace year WMI certification. Participants using the WFA to recertify their WFR need to pass both a written and a practical test.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn how to administer first aid in a wilderness context
- Learn about the Patient Assessment System, patient exams, vital signs, history and documentation
- Class addresses major trauma such as spinal cord and head injuries, shock and wound management in a wilderness context
- It will also address less severe and more common medical issues such as environmental and athletic injuries
- Learn about first aid kits for a wilderness context.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Wilderness First Aid Class with WMI Information
WILDERNESS FIRST AID CLASS WITH WMI
- Class Details
- Gear List
Wilderness First Aid Class with WMI Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Notebook and Pen or Pencil
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI: