Hike and Hops - Starved Rock & Matthiessen State Park
Description: Have you always wanted to hike the areas of Starved Rock or Matthiessen State Park? Join REI expert guides as we discover the canyons, waterfalls, prairies, and streams that define this unique area of Illinois. Don't miss your opportunity to explore 6-8 miles of the parks stunning landscape while keeping an eye out for Bald Eagles who nest along the Illinois River. To cap off a great day of hiking the group will retreat to the Starved Rock Lodge for a meal and local brew before returning to the Chicago area. Transportation and dinner included. 12 years old and up (participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a participation parent / responsible adult)- 21 and over for local brews (Photo ID required).
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn about hiking/backpacking gear
- Learn basic navigation
- Learn natural history
- Learn hiking techniques (pacing, rest step, and/or snow travel)
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Hike and Hops - Starved Rock & Matthiessen State Park Information
HIKE AND HOPS - STARVED ROCK & MATTHIESSEN STATE PARK
- Class Details
- Gear List
Hike and Hops - Starved Rock & Matthiessen State Park Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Hiking Socks - Mositure wicking socks to help keep your feet cool and dry.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Energy Snacks
- Hiking Boots
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Personal Camera
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
Gear provided by REI:
- Dinner - Food supplied for dinner
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Group First Aid Kit
- Transportation - From REI store to and from the trailhead / class location