Winter Hiking Series - Billy Goat Trail
Description: Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Join REI's professional guides this winter for a unique hiking experience. Let us introduce you to one our regions natural gems, the Billy Goat Trail. We'll rock-hop along the Potomac River's Mather Gorge and explore the sandy beaches of one of the wildest urban areas in North America. Along the way we'll teach you a few tips to making winter hiking more comfortable and enjoyable. Bring your sense of adventure! REI will provide a catered lunch and hot drinks. Join us for a day or the whole Winter Hiking Series. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a participating parent or responsible adult.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Learn about local venues that are particularly suited to winter hiking
- Get a great winter-weather workout
- Meet other like-minded adventurers
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Winter Hiking Series - Billy Goat Trail Information
WINTER HIKING SERIES - BILLY GOAT TRAIL
- Class Details
- Gear List
Winter Hiking Series - Billy Goat Trail Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Hat
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Warm Gloves
- Hiking Boots
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Energy Snacks
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Thermos with warm drinks