Alpine Scramble: Conditioning and Preparing for Changing Seasons
Description: Preparing to do Mt. Shasta, Rainer, Whitney or any other big mountain on your list? Join us for a conditioning climb of a local peak. Along our route you will learn about proper packing of gear and equipment, layering, dealing with unpredictable weather conditions, route finding, pacing, nutrition, mountain conditions and many other techniques needed to prepare you for your next big climb.
Skills you'll learn:
- Packing of Gear and Equipment
- Route Finding
- What to expect on your climb
- Layering, Dealing with unpredictable weather, Conditioning and techniques that will help prepare you for your next climb
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Alpine Scramble: Conditioning and Preparing for Changing Seasons Information
ALPINE SCRAMBLE: CONDITIONING AND PREPARING FOR CHANGING SEASONS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Alpine Scramble: Conditioning and Preparing for Changing Seasons Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Hat
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Lunch & Snacks
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Day Hiking Boots
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Water Bottle
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Energy Snacks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Climbing Helmet