SUP board, paddle and fin selection
Description: Do you want to learn what the right board is for you, including length and volume? What kind of fin do you need for your type of paddling? Or how wide should the blade of the paddle be? In this hands-on class you'll learn about the different boards, paddles and fins available and the best fit for you. Explanation on the different kinds of boards available for paddling in flat water, planing and displacement boards will be introduced. Determining the correct board volume for the type of paddling and your body composition. Introduction to different fins for displacement boards and planning boards. Time on the water to feel the traction, and turning capabilities of each fin. Also, introduction to different paddle materials, shapes, aspect ratio, paddle fitting, blade area, and more. You will leave having tested enough boards, paddles and fins to know that, for example, if you want to do SUP Yoga in protected waters, you'll need a specific board volume, a paddle with the proper blade size for your body type and a fin that offers stability.
Skills you'll learn:
- Board types and designs
- Fin types, designs and performance Paddle types, materials, and fitting
- An opportunity to try out the different equipment to find the right board, fin, and paddle combination for you
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
SUP board, paddle and fin selection Information
SUP BOARD, PADDLE AND FIN SELECTION
- Class Details
- Gear List
SUP board, paddle and fin selection Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Stand Up Paddleboard
- Group First Aid Kit
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)