Climb the Gunks - Shawangunks Day Climbing Adventure
Description: Join REI Outdoor School and partner Alpine Endeavors on an all-day rock climbing adventure! Located only 90 miles from NYC, the Shawangunks or "the Gunks" are a world class rock climbing destination. Whether experienced , a gym climber, or completely new to climbing, AMGA certified guides will provide you with excellent, friendly and thorough instruction along with technical equipment to take you on a climbing adventure in a relaxed learning environment. Participants will enjoy: An optional in-store session where you'll learn about the sport and the equipment needed to climb; A full day of climbing; Round trip transportation to/from the Metro North Poughkeepsie Train Station in Poughkeepsie, NY; A private guide for you and your party based on a 4:1 climber to guide ratio; Loan of any technical equipment you need for the day; Day passes; and Dinner at a local restaurant in New Paltz. Your guide will meet you at the Metro North station in Poughkeepsie at 08:40am, and then you're off to the climbing location. At the climbing area, you'll get equipped with the necessary shoes, harness, helmet and then spend the day on a variety of climbs ranging in difficulty on the beautiful Mohonk Preserve or Minnewaska State Park. After climbing, it's off to dinner at a local New Paltz restaurant where you will be able to relive your adventure with friends and enjoy some healthy, hearty food before we return you to the train station for the 5:50pm departure.
Skills you'll learn:
Site awareness, equipment and its use, climbing technique, belaying and rappelling, systems, rock protection, and much more
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Climb the Gunks - Shawangunks Day Climbing Adventure Information
CLIMB THE GUNKS - SHAWANGUNKS DAY CLIMBING ADVENTURE
- Class Details
- Gear List
Climb the Gunks - Shawangunks Day Climbing Adventure Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Day Hiking Boots
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Personal Snacks
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Water Bottle
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Energy Snacks
- Lunch & Snacks
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Personal Toiletries