Kayak Tour - Urban Lakes (Lake Union to Arboretum)
Description: Join REI for a kayaking tour of Lake Union and the Arboretum, launching from South Lake Union Park! This paddle is popular for beginning and intermediate paddlers. Buzzing with activity, we will paddle through Lake Union beside float planes, houseboats into the serenity of the Arboretum on one of the most rewarding paddles in the area. On this paddling trip, you'll enjoy majestic views of the Cascades, the Seattle Skyline, and the Arboretum. After an orientation and safety briefing, we will explore the shoreline catching views of wildlife and exploring the water trails of the Arboretum. Depending on conditions, we'll paddle between 5 and 9 miles round trip. Pre-requisite: Learn to Kayak Class or equivalent skills.
Skills you'll learn:
- How to prepare for a kayak tour
- Appropriate clothing for paddling
- Refinement of paddling techique
- Local natural history
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Tour - Urban Lakes (Lake Union to Arboretum) Information
KAYAK TOUR - URBAN LAKES (LAKE UNION TO ARBORETUM)
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Tour - Urban Lakes (Lake Union to Arboretum) Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Lunch & Snacks
- Water Bottle
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Personal Camera
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)