Kayak Day Tour on the Chattahoochee River - Jones Bridge to Island Ford
Description: Join REI for a kayaking tour of a great section of the Chattahoochee River for beginning and intermediate paddlers. The 8 mile long section from the Jones Bridge park unit to Island Ford park unit is one of the most serpentine, narrow, and varied in the Atlanta area. After an orientation and safety briefing, we will paddle downstream, launching from the boat ramp at the National Park Service's Jones Bridge Unit. We'll paddle past some small shoals, tree lined banks, beautiful homes and under a bridge. We often see herons, beavers, jumping fish, and other river creatures. We'll stop for lunch on an island in the middle of the river before finishing up at the Island Ford boat ramp. The current is light but it should help us along. This is a one-way paddle and we will shuttle you back to your cars. Pre-requisite: Learn to Kayak or similar experience. Must be physically able to paddle 8 miles. Lunch and touring kayaks are included in the price of the class. For Kayakers 14 years old and up. Those under 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Skills you'll learn:
- Gain confidence and experience while kayaking on an iconic river
- Meet other paddlers
- Shuttle service on a great stretch of river
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Kayak Day Tour on the Chattahoochee River - Jones Bridge to Island Ford Information
KAYAK DAY TOUR ON THE CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER - JONES BRIDGE TO ISLAND FORD
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Day Tour on the Chattahoochee River - Jones Bridge to Island Ford Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Water Bottle
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
Gear provided by REI: