Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel
Description: This advanced course is designed as the next step in your mountaineering adventures after the Introduction to Mountaineering class. You will learn the skills and techniques for roped team glacier travel. This will include knots, rope management, snow anchors, walking belay and fixed line travel.
Skills you'll learn:
- Practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes
- Learn and practice rope team setup and travel
- Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel Information
ADVANCED MOUNTAINEERING SKILLS - ROPE TEAM TRAVEL
- Class Details
- Gear List
Advanced Mountaineering Skills - Rope Team Travel Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hiking Boots
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Warm Hat
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Warm Gloves
- Lunch & Snacks
- Water Bottle
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Personal GPS
- Personal Compass
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Energy Snacks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Climbing Helmet
- Climbing Harness
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Group First Aid Kit