Alpine Scrambles - Conditioning and Preparation for Mountaineering
Description: Preparing to do Mt. Shasta, Rainer, Whitney or any other big mountain on your list? Join us for a conditioning climb of a local peak. Along our route you will learn about proper packing of gear and equipment, route finding, pacing, nutrition, mountain conditions and many other techniques needed to prepare you for your next big climb.
Skills you'll learn:
- Packing of Gear and Equipment
- Route Finding
- What to expect on your climb
- Conditioning and techniques that will help prepare you for your next climb
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Alpine Scrambles - Conditioning and Preparation for Mountaineering Information
ALPINE SCRAMBLES - CONDITIONING AND PREPARATION FOR MOUNTAINEERING
- Class Details
- Gear List
Alpine Scrambles - Conditioning and Preparation for Mountaineering Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Water Bottle
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Warm Hat
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Lunch & Snacks
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Gloves
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Personal Compass
- Energy Snacks
- Personal Camera
- Personal GPS
Gear provided by REI:
- Climbing Harness
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Climbing Helmet
- Group First Aid Kit