Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques
Description: In this introductory class you will learn the skills of proper use of crampons and mountain axe, self-arrest and self-belay techniques, various snow and glacier travel techniques as well as proper nutrition, gear, clothing and well being for mountaineering.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend snow slopes
- Learn and practice self-belay
- Learn and practice self arrest
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques Information
INTRODUCTION TO MOUNTAINEERING - BASIC SKILLS & TECHNIQUES
- Class Details
- Gear List
Introduction to Mountaineering - Basic Skills & Techniques Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Gloves
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Lunch & Snacks
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Hiking Boots
- Water Bottle
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Warm Hat
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Personal GPS
- Personal Compass
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Camera
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
- Energy Snacks
- Thermos with warm drinks
Gear provided by REI:
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Climbing Helmet
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Climbing Harness
- Group First Aid Kit
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.