Backcountry Navigation with a Map & Compass
Description: During this field outing, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass and how to put the two together while planning your trip and on the trail. We will cover the tricks of the trade relating to back country navigation as we apply our knowledge on the trail establishing a route, navigating the route and making necessary adjustments in the field.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn how to read topographic lines and other basic features on a map
- Learn how to orient a map to match the environment both with and without a compass
- Learn basic compass features and how to utilize the map with a compass
- Learn how to plot your current position on your map
- Use a map & compass to navigate to new locations
- Build confidence in your navigation skills
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Backcountry Navigation with a Map & Compass Information
BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION WITH A MAP & COMPASS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
|4/27/2014 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM CDT||
Non Member: $80.00
Spots left: 1
|5/18/2014 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM CDT||
Non Member: $80.00
Spots left: 7
Backcountry Navigation with a Map & Compass Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Hiking Boots
- Lunch & Snacks
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Personal Compass
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.