Ice Climbing the Catskills
Description: When Winter cold sets in, it's Ice Climbing season! Come out with and experience the thrill of Ice Climbing. Whether you are an experienced rock climber, a gym climber or are completely new to climbing, REI Outdoor School partner, Alpine Endeavors, will provide you with all the necessary technical equipment and AMGA certified guides to take you on a climbing adventure in a relaxed learning environment. You will learn site awareness, technical ice axe and crampon use, rope handling systems, understanding ice protection, selection of proper clothing, how to fuel your body in frigid winter temperatures, and much more. Make the most of this winter, come learn how to Ice Climb! This course includes a full day of climbing. You will be driven picked up and driven to the Catskills Ice Climbing location. After getting equipped with the necessary boots, crampons and Ice tools, you will spend the day Top-roping on a variety of climbs. A hearty and healthy lunch will be provided for you midway through the day to help you recharge for the afternoon on the ice.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn basic Ice climbing skills
- Experience a new sport in a social/fun environment
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Ice Climbing the Catskills Information
ICE CLIMBING THE CATSKILLS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Ice Climbing the Catskills Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Gloves
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Warm Hat
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Climbing Helmet
- Climbing Harness
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Group First Aid Kit
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.