Introduction to Winter Hiking
Description: Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Come join us for a winter hike. On this outing you'll learn about the gear and clothing that can make your cold weather hikes more comfortable and enjoyable. You'll learn how to use traction devices on icy trails, or snowshoes in deeper snow. We'll show you techniques to help you hike more efficiently and cover skills such as route finding on snow covered trails and emergency preparedness. This is a fantastic opportunity to explore one of our local parks and enjoy a great winter outing. Hot Chocolate included!!!
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn proper emergency preparedness and person health for cold environment
- Learn about beneficial clothing and equipment to make your experience more enjoyable
- Learn trip and techniques for navigating when you can't see the trail (snow)
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Take a great winter hike
Duration: 5.0 hours
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Introduction to Winter Hiking Information
INTRODUCTION TO WINTER HIKING
- Class Details
- Gear List
Introduction to Winter Hiking Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Energy Snacks
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI: