Kayak Rescues Class
Description: Come learn or refine your kayak rescue skills in a comfortable and warm environment during this two-hour pool session. Spending time during the off-season practicing and learning new rescue skills makes for better paddling next spring. In this class, students will learn rescue techniques for both self and assisted rescues that will get you and your paddling partners back into the boat in the case of an unexpected capsize. By the end of the class, our instructors will also help you gain an awareness of how to become a safe, responsible kayaker. Note: this is not a kayak roll class.
Skills you'll learn:
- To learn to enter and exit a kayak, including the wet exit, wearing a sprayskirt
- To learn rescue techniques for assisting others
- To learn rescue techniques for self-rescue
- To provide participants with an awareness of how to become a safe, responsible kayaker.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Kayak Rescues Class Information
KAYAK RESCUES CLASS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Rescues Class Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Water Bottle
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Energy Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Spray Skirt