Mt. Rainier Snowshoe Basecamp Overnight
Description: Immerse yourself in the beauty and solitude of Mt. Rainier with REI in a two-day snowshoe adventure! This class will afford you the opportunity to experience snowshoeing in an iconic destination. On our first day you will learn efficient snowshoeing technique and helpful hints from experienced instructors and return to a cozy Basecamp and warm group meals at Paradise. Our second day we will explore an additional intermediate route, placing us high above the Paradise Valley on Mazama Ridge, where we will discuss route finding, avalanche awareness, and enjoy the fluffy white powder that Mt. Rainier has to offer. Winter Camping Basics and Introduction to Snowshoeing classes recommended.
Skills you'll learn:
- Students will learn and use the gear and equipment for camping comfortably in winter environment
- Students will learn about specific preparation for a safe and enjoyable outdoor camping experience, including: Weather considerations / Trip planning - where to go, activities to plan for / Meal planning / Ten Essentials / Route Finding / Avalanche Awareness / Snowshoeing / Leave No Trace
- Instructional snowshoe hike/ guided intermediate hike to experience Mt. Rainier in Winter.
Duration: 2.0 days
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mt. Rainier Snowshoe Basecamp Overnight Information
MT. RAINIER SNOWSHOE BASECAMP OVERNIGHT
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mt. Rainier Snowshoe Basecamp Overnight Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Insulated/Waterproof Boots - Suitable for snowshoeing.
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Water Bottle
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Backpack - Internal frame 45-65 liter pack.
- Warm Gloves
- Energy Snacks
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Sleeping Pad - Closed cell foam or self inflatable.
- Warm Hat
Gear provided by REI: