Kayak Tour - Busse Lake
Description: Join us as we explore one of the best kept secrets of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. This lake is nestled in the heart of the bustling northwest suburbs and provides a quiet retreat from the hustle and bustle. What is not widely known is the diversity of wildlife that calls this lake "home". Depending on the time of year, vast numbers of migrating waterfowl can be found on the lake and almost always, great blue heron, green heron, egrets, cormorants, deer, coyote, beaver, muskrat, and small shore based animals can be sighted. During our exploration we will discover the native vegetation, invasive species, environmental pressures, and the effort the park district and volunteers are making to preserve the park for the future. We will visit the marshes and open waters, and the inviting 'secret' fish havens of the lake. Distance: 4-6 miles depending on water levels.
Skills you'll learn:
Learn to kayak curriculum
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Kayak Tour - Busse Lake Information
KAYAK TOUR - BUSSE LAKE
- Class Details
- Gear List
Kayak Tour - Busse Lake Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Water Bottle
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Personal Snacks
- Personal Camera
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Group First Aid Kit