4th of July in the Sierra: Fireworks Night Hike
Description: Join REI for a unique 4th of July experience in the Sierra. On this special night hike to the Castle Peak area, we will don our headlamps and make our way up to a spectacular vista with views of Donner Lake and the surrounding peaks where we will settle in and enjoy a delicious meal before the big shows begin. From our vantage point we will be able to see the firework displays at Donner Lake, Truckee, and possibly even Lake Tahoe while still enjoying the solitude of the Sierra Nevada wilderness. After the grand finale, we will slowly make our way back to the trailhead while listening to the sounds of owls and learning about the other nocturnal residents of Tahoe National Forest and the constellations overhead. Transportation and meal included.
Skills you'll learn:
- Enjoy a hike in the Sierra
- See the 4th of July Fireworks
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
4th of July in the Sierra: Fireworks Night Hike Information
4TH OF JULY IN THE SIERRA: FIREWORKS NIGHT HIKE
- Class Details
- Gear List
4th of July in the Sierra: Fireworks Night Hike Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Hiking Boots
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Warm Hat
- Warm Gloves
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Personal Camera
- Camp Chair - A good choice is the REI Comfort LTG Chair
- Energy Snacks
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Dinner - Food supplied for dinner