Kayak Rescues and Recovery
Description: Ready to take your kayaking knowledge to the next level? In this class, students will learn to enter and exit your kayak wearing a sprayskirt. You'll learn rescue techniques for self-rescue to get back into your boat and for assisting others as well. By the end of the class, our instructors will also help you gain an awareness of how to become a safe, responsible kayaker. This class is a natural follow-up to our Learn to Kayak class and is great for kayakers who have basic paddling skills but aer interested in learning more about self and assisted rescues.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to enter and exit a kayak, including the wet exit, wearing a sprayskirt
- Learn rescue techniques for assisting others
- Learn rescue techniques for self-rescue
- Provide participants with an awareness of how to become a safe, responsible kayaker
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Kayak Rescues and Recovery Information
KAYAK RESCUES AND RECOVERY
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
Kayak Rescues and Recovery Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Energy Snacks
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Water Bottle
- Wetsuit - Thickness depends on your local water temperatures. Generally 3mm-4mm is preferable.
- Paddle Jacket
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Touring/Recreational Kayak
- Spray Skirt
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Dry Bag