Introduction to Kayak Touring
Description: This course is designed for those who want to learn more about kayak touring. Students will learn about proper kayak and gear selection and the essential paddle strokes needed to control your kayak on longer trips and on larger bodies of water, bracing to help prevent capsizes and build your confidence. Lastly, you'll learn how to safely exit a capsized kayak and re-enter it on the water using a paddle float, and how to T-rescue another capsized kayaker. These skills will become the foundation of your kayaking career, and will enable you to begin to explore new venues safely and responsibly. Kayaking is a wet sport. Instruction includes wet exits and in-water rescues.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn to maneuver your kayak in moderate conditions
- Learn to complete a wet exit while wearing a sprayskirt
- Learn assisted and self-rescue techniques
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
More Partner Information:
Introduction to Kayak Touring Information
INTRODUCTION TO KAYAK TOURING
- Class Details
- Gear List
Introduction to Kayak Touring Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Water Bottle
- Water Shoes/Sandals - Foot attire that will protect your feet and is okay to get wet. (e.g. Teva, Chaco, Keen (not flip-flops)
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Synthetic / wool layers - Clothing that will stay warm when wet.
- Lunch & Snacks
- Eyewear Retainer - A strap to help keep your glasses or sunglasses from falling off in the event of big splash or a capsize.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Paddle Jacket
Gear provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Spray Skirt
- Dry Bag
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Touring/Recreational Kayak