Description: The use of an ice axe and crampons is critical to anyone who wants to be able to move with comfort and safety in the mountains. This course will prepare you to deal with high summer snowfields and help develop the skills needed for the mountaineer's route at Mt. Whitney or other mountaineering adventures. We will cover skills such as self-arrest, crampon use, traveling on a rope team, negotiating 4th class terrain and placing snow protection. This course is appropriate for first time mountaineers or climbers looking to brush up on skills. Once you've completed this course join us on another occasion for a winter ascent of Mt. Baldy or other local peak.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes
- Learn and practice rope team setup and travel
- Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering Skills Information
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering Skills Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Water Bottle
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Gloves
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Lunch & Snacks
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Warm Hat
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Camera
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
Gear provided by REI:
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.
- Climbing Helmet
- Group First Aid Kit
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.