Description: The use of an ice axe and crampons is critical to anyone who wants to be able to move with comfort and safety in the mountains. This course will prepare you to deal with high summer snowfields and help develop the skills needed for the mountaineer's route at Mt. Whitney or other mountaineering adventures. We will cover skills such as self-arrest, crampon use, traveling on a rope team, negotiating 4th class terrain and placing snow protection. This course is appropriate for first time mountaineers or climbers looking to brush up on skills. Once you've completed this course join us on another occasion for a winter ascent of Mt. Baldy or other local peak.
Skills you'll learn:
- Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes
- Learn and practice rope team setup and travel
- Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering Skills Information
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering Skills Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Warm Hat
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Water Bottle
- Warm Gloves
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Hiking Boots
Gear provided by REI: