Mountaineering Skills - Rope Teams
Description: This course is the next step in the mountaineering progression after Snow Travel. Now that you can travel safely with an ice axe and crampons it is time to introduce ropes. We will cover skills such as traveling on a rope team, negotiating 4th class terrain and placing snow protection. This course is appropriate for graduates of our Snow Travel class. This course is very weather and condition dependent and the curriculum will be adjusted to fit the conditions at the time of the course. Once you've completed the snow travel and rope team classes it is time to put it all together and join us for a winter ascent of a SoCal Classic peak.
Skills you'll learn:
Practice techniques to safely climb and descend steep snow slopes, Learn and practice rope team setup and travel, Learn and practice movement through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering Skills - Rope Teams Information
MOUNTAINEERING SKILLS - ROPE TEAMS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering Skills - Rope Teams Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Water Bottle
- Warm Gloves
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Warm Hat
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
Gear provided by REI:
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- First Aid Kits
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Dynamic Climbing Rope - At least a 60m rope.
- Climbing Helmet
- Climbing Harness
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.