Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent
Description: This class is only for participants that have completed both the Mountaineering Snow Travel and Rope Team classes. This day outing is a winter ascent in which you will have the opportunity to climb an iconic and beautiful peak while practicing the skills you've learned. During the ascent you will work in rope teams to maneuver through 4th class terrain. Mountaineering skills will be reviewed during ascent and basic outdoor skills will be emphasized throughout day including navigation, layering, weather and nutrition.
Skills you'll learn:
Further hone steep snow climbing and descent techniques learned in Mountaineering Snow Travel and Rope Team courses, Practice rope team travel through 4th class terrain
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent Information
MOUNTAINEERING - CLASSIC PEAK WINTER ASCENT
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering - Classic Peak Winter Ascent Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Hat
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Water Bottle
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Warm Gloves
- Lunch & Snacks
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Personal Camera
- Thermos with warm drinks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal GPS
- Energy Snacks
- Personal Compass
- Foam sit pad - Used for insulation when sitting in snow.
Gear provided by REI:
- Climbing Harness
- Dynamic Climbing Rope - At least a 60m rope.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Ice / Mountain Axe
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Climbing Helmet
- Group First Aid Kit
- Crampons - Spikes that fit on sturdy boots to help with traction on ice.