Hiking the Cascades
Description: Whether you are conditioning to summit Mt. Rainier, planning a backpacking trip, or just want to get out, stretch you legs and enjoy the beautiful landscapes the Cascades have to offer in great company, this outing is for you! Join our instructors on an informative hike to help increase your backcountry awareness. We'll help you learn about hiking equipment, natural history, basic navigation, and hiking techniques in all types of terrain that will help you succeed and add further enjoyment to your future trips. The hikes will range in difficulty from moderate to strenuous. Covering 6 to 10 miles a day with elevation gain ranging from 1000 to 5000 ft.
Skills you'll learn:
Learn about hiking/backpacking gear Learn basic navigation Learn natural history Learn hiking techniques (pacing, rest step, snow travel)
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Hiking the Cascades Information
HIKING THE CASCADES
- Class Details
- Gear List
Hiking the Cascades Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Hiking Socks - Mositure wicking socks to help keep your feet cool and dry.
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Hiking Boots
- Lunch & Snacks
- Warm Hat
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Gloves
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Group First Aid Kit