Lightweight Overnight Backpacking
Description: A lightweight backpack is a great way to add comfort to your hiking experience and make more miles on the trail. In this 2-day outing, you will learn how to select and pack appropriate gear and food for an overnight trip. We'll trim our packs focusing on using items with multiple purposes. You'll learn how to keep your food light and small but still delicious; how to set up lightweight shelter; utilizing ultralight stoves and backpacking gear and its limitations; and how you can treat water without adding lots of weight. This class is for anyone looking to get into backpacking, and it is especially useful for experienced backpackers and hikers looking to reduce the weight in their pack, cover more ground, and feel more rested after a day of intense hiking. Food, backpacks and group gear is included in the price.
Skills you'll learn:
- Understand the benefits and usage of backpacking clothing and equipment
- Learn where you can shave weight while still carrying the essentials
- Learn and practice appropriate lightweight backpacking skills and techniques
- Learn Leave No Trace ethics and camping skills.
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Lightweight Overnight Backpacking Information
LIGHTWEIGHT OVERNIGHT BACKPACKING
- Class Details
- Gear List
Lightweight Overnight Backpacking Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Utensils - A good choice is the REI Campware Utensil Set
- Sleeping Pad - Closed cell foam or self inflatable.
- Personal Toiletries
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Three Season Sleeping Bag - A bag rated 15 degrees plus.
- Water Bottle
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Personal Snacks
- Personal Camera
Gear provided by REI:
- Food - Camping food.
- Hiking Poles - REI will provide but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Backpacking Stove
- 3 Season Backpacking Tent - A tent suitable for spring, summer, and fall camping.
- Topographical Maps - Local course area maps.
- Water Filter
- Backpack - Internal frame 45-65 liter pack.
- First Aid Kits