Mountaineering Skills - Snow Travel
Description: The use of an ice axe and crampons is critical to anyone who wants to be able to move with comfort and safety in the mountains. This course will prepare you to deal with high summer snowfields and start to develop the skills needed for mountaineering adventures. We will cover snow travel, self-belay with an ice axe, self arrest and crampon use. This course is appropriate for first time mountaineers or climbers looking to brush up on skills. This course is very weather and condition dependent and the curriculum will be adjusted to fit the conditions at the time of the course. The next step in the mountaineering progression is the Rope Team class after that it is time to put it all together and join us for a winter ascent.
Skills you'll learn:
Learn and practice techniques to safely climb and descend snow slopes, Learn and practice self-belay, Learn and practice self arrest
Duration: 8.0 hours
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Mountaineering Skills - Snow Travel Information
MOUNTAINEERING SKILLS - SNOW TRAVEL
- Class Details
- Gear List
Mountaineering Skills - Snow Travel Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Matches or Lighter - A ten essentials item for backcountry travel.
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Warm Socks - Wool or Synthetic.
- Water Bottle
- Lunch & Snacks
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Hiking Boots
- Warm Hat
- 2 Liters of Water - At least 2 Nalgene sized water bottles or a large Camelback style reservoir
- Extra Warm Synthetic Clothing
- Warm Jacket - Down or Synthetic.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Base Layers - Wool or synthetic.
- Warm Gloves
Gear provided by REI: