Introduction to Backcountry Skills Class
Description: Getting ready to head into the wilderness for the first time and not sure what you need to know or do to have a successful trip? Hone your skills during this outing while we will discuss the importance of proper planning, equipment selection, and other fundamental backcountry skills. This outing will include ample opportunity for demonstrations, discussion, skills practice and questions during a hike that will cover approximately 3 miles.
Skills you'll learn:
Key elements of pre-trip planning for backcountry travel, Basic concepts of navigation with map & compass and GPS, Proper clothing and equipment selection for the terrain and weather, Emergency preparedness (nutrition - hygiene - shelter - water)
Required Legal Form:
This course requires the participant to read and sign a liability release form before participating. Please see "Required Legal Form" for the session you are registering for. You will need to print, sign and bring the form to your class.
Introduction to Backcountry Skills Class Information
INTRODUCTION TO BACKCOUNTRY SKILLS CLASS
- Class Details
- Gear List
Date / Time
Meeting Location / Class Notes
|12/14/2013 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM PST||
Non Member: $80.00
Spots left: 4
Introduction to Backcountry Skills Class Gear List
Gear to bring to class:
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Water Bottle
- Appropriate clothing for the weather and conditions - Moisture wicking clothing that will help keep you warm and/or dry.
- Hat/ Sun protection - An item to help protect your face and neck from sunburn.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
- Daypack - Day pack large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hiking Boots
- Lunch & Snacks
Gear provided by REI: